Re: [HACKERS] Installing PL/pgSQL by default

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Mailing List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Installing PL/pgSQL by default
Date: 2009-12-12 10:06:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le 11 déc. 2009 à 01:43, Bruce Momjian a écrit :
>> Would you be up for writing the extension facility?
>
> Uh, well, I need to help with the patch commit process at this point ---
> if I find I have extra time, I could do it. I will keep this in mind.

If you ever find the time to do it, that would be excellent!
The extension facility is on the top list of Josh Berkus missing things we'll have to provide soon (or something) and a very annoying missing feature, the last stone of the high praised extensibility of PostgreSQL.
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/postgresql-development-priorities-31886

It could also means that pg_migrator would have an easier time handling user data types etc, if extension authors are able to implement the hooks to call to migrate their data from previous to next major version ondisk format.

Anyway, thanks for considering it!
--
dim

PS: of course I've developed some ideas of how I'd like this to work and some use cases too, so bug me on IRC or whatever for details etc :)