autovacuum not working?

From: "Medora Schauer" <mschauer(at)fairfield(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: autovacuum not working?
Date: 2006-10-09 13:38:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've recently moved to 8.1 and find that autovacuum doesn't seem to be
working, at least not the way I expected it to. I need the tuple count
for a table to be updated so indexes will be used when appropriate. I
was expecting the tuples count for a table to be updated after
autovacuum ran. This doesn't seem to be the case. I added 511 records
to a previously empty table and waited over an hour. Tuples for the
table (as per pgaccess) was 0. After I did a manual vacuum analyze it
went to 511.

Am I missing something? Should there be something in the log file to
indicate that autovacuum has run?

I'm attaching my conf file.

Medora Schauer

Fairfield Industries

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql.conf application/octet-stream 13.8 KB