Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply

From: Jan Otto <asche(at)me(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ISN patch that applies cleanly with git apply
Date: 2010-10-13 12:36:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi peter,

> I would like to hear what people think of my observations about the
> design of contrib/isn. In particular, I'd like Jan Otto to contribute
> - he probably has more domain knowledge than I do. I haven't heard
> from Jan about the proposed regression test.
>
> In producing this patch, did you work off the listing of all the
> 628,000 assigned publisher codes that is only available in book form
> at a cost of €558? How might I verify the correctness of the new
> ISBN_range, preferably without spending €558? :-)

no, i used only the official information from international isbn agency to produce this patch.

Range Message (XML) from http://www.isbn-international.org/page/ranges

we have much more information (payed) about publishers and its prefixes internally, but for
hyphenation we dont need more information as provided in the above xml-file.

additionally i put in support for the 979-prefix, because new ranges get applied to this new
prefix. as far as i know old ranges will never change.

regards, jan