Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #2

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #2
Date: 1999-09-29 21:06:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Yikes. I was just talking to Thomas Lockhart by phone, and was saying
> > that I thought 6.6 would be a small, incremental release after the
> > changes in 6.5.*. Obviously, 6.6 is going to be as full-featured as
> > earlier releases.
>
> And that surprises you?? Even in the short two years I've used
> PostgreSQL, I have grown accustomed to major changes every major
> version. First there was the NOT NULL (and scads of other) features to
> compel me to go from 6.1.1 to 6.2, then there were subselects (and
> vastly improved documentation) to get me up to 6.3, then there were
> views, rules, and the new protocol to make 6.4 a must-cc event, then
> MVCC.... And now I'm maintaining RPM's so I can stay on the released
> bleeding edge without breaking my server policies. Whoda thunk it?
>
> Of course, my measly list above doesn't do the development justice -- as
> one look at the changelog will show.

Yes, it still shocks me. I was telling Thomas, every release I think,
man, this is so great, no reason anyone should be using a prior release.
And then the next release is the same thing.

The basic issue for me is that each of the new features requsted looks
so hard, I can't imagine how it could be done, but by release time, it
does get done. Amazing.