Re: [GENERAL] Anyone doing a native NT port?

From: Ted Nolan SRI Augusta GA <ted(at)ags(dot)ga(dot)erg(dot)sri(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Warnock <david(at)sundayta(dot)co(dot)uk>, David Heinecke <dheinecke(at)axent(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, ted(at)ags(dot)ga(dot)erg(dot)sri(dot)com
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Anyone doing a native NT port?
Date: 1999-09-27 19:00:23
Lists: pgsql-general

In message <199909271817(dot)OAA10269(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>you write:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> As I am not going to be able to help on the coding I won't try to
>> comment on it's dificulty.
>>
>> But I will ask what realistic expectations are for the current NT port
>> using cgywin. My current concern is that the installation is very
>> complex and the useability is poor due to the need to enter a cgywin
>> shell to access any of the postgresql features.
>>
>> So
>>
>> a) Is it going to be possible using cgywin to build binaries
>> (postmaster, createdb, psql etc) that can be run from a standard windows
>> NT command prompt? Or will a cgywin shell always be needed? If this can
>> be done then so that we can provide an installation of binaries with no
>> unix shell visible then we can probably get this accepted by our users.
>>
>> b) Is it possible to add support for Windows 9x? If so it anyone working
>> on this? (NB I am not considering this as a server platform but for a
>> single user system to avoid us supporting multiple dbms) [anyway I don't
>> know of an alternative to Postgresql that has the same feature set - I
>> need most postgresql features {license and technical}].
>
>Sorry, I don't know the answers to these questions because I don't use
>NT, but I will say this. Fixing the above problems is going to be 99
>times easier than porting PostgreSQL to native NT without cygwin.
>Basically, you will have to write cygwin, and that is no trivial task.
>
>The above items can probably be done using tcl/tk for a user interface,
>and having the cygwin shell do the actual execution. Again, 99 times
>easier to do than the port to native NT.
>
>--
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000

OK, I've just put the 6.5.1 install for NT that I mentioned a few
messages ago up for FTP at ftp.erg.sri.com in
/pub/people/ted/pg_inst.zip. This is part of a larger project I'm
working on and I have absolutely no time to support or debug it. (And
have never done it from a ZIP before, but that should be OK..) If it
works for you -- great! If not, I'd like to hear what went wrong, but
I probably won't be able to help you much. The key thing, per this
discussion, is that the user doesn't need to get or interact directly
with cygwin.

Unzip it and double click on "inst_pg.bat". Hopefully this will start an
install process. After this finishes, double click on "startdb.bat"
in the directory where you told it to install, minimize that, then double
click on "nw_psql.bat" (You could wrap other PGSQL commands as bat files
also).

When done, double click on "stopdb.bat" to kill the postmaster & ipc-daemon.

This install does not install PG as a service. I've done that with seeming
success, but it didn't make it into the install...

Also, as you've seen, I still have some concerns about the ipc-daemon
gradually becomming a CPU hog..

Ted Nolan