Long table names

From: "Finn Kettner" <fk(at)akf(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Long table names
Date: 1999-08-16 18:45:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi there.

I remember someone talking about compiling pgsql so that it could use
table names longer than 32 bytes, but that it would require some
changes in the source code. Could anyone tell me what changes these
are, and how safe it would be to do it (that is, should I assume that
I could just compile a newer version making the same changes to the
sources, and have anyone experienced anything broken using the longer
table names)???

Yours faithfully.
Finn Kettner.
PS. The main reasong for the longer table names is not the tables
themself, but the indexes etc. that are constructed automatically
using e.g. serial fields.