Re: [ADMIN] Install problems (libpq.so.1)

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: astromonk <astromonk(at)flashmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Install problems (libpq.so.1)
Date: 1999-08-01 21:07:45
Lists: pgsql-general

astromonk wrote:
>hello again:
>
>libpq.so.2 is symlinked to libpq.so. I copied libpq.so to libpq.so.1 and th
>en
>reran >/sbin/ldconfig (/usr/lib is found in /etc/ld.so.conf where all libpq.
>so
>files are found - I could not find any .so's under the postgres installation
>directorys) I then ran >rpm -Uvh perl-DBD-pg.rpm is still giving me problem
>saying it cannot find libpq.so.1.
>
>Even though I copied libpq.so to libpq.so.1 locate libpq does not list
>libpq.so.1. If I can make locate find the .so.1 then I think the rpm instal
>will work. I do not need to use the C programmers interface only perl will
>be
>connecting to postgres so I hope I will not run into compatibility problems
>by
>installing a version of DBD that was not made for PostgreSQL 6.4.2.
>
>I really cannot go back and install a previous version of PostgreSQL because
>am working on a large open source project and all other members of the team
>are on 6.4.2.

The shared library's identity is compiled into it and I don't think you can
do what you want by renaming it. It is probably undesirable in any case
because the new library has changed its interface - that's why it changed
its identity.

What you need to do is get the source of DBD and compile it so that it will link to libpq.so.2. This is a lot more likely to succeed than hacking your
libraries around.

--
Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk