Re: [ADMIN] Upgrading from 6.5.0 to 6.5.1

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)pathwaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Upgrading from 6.5.0 to 6.5.1
Date: 1999-07-30 20:34:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I just want to verify this: when I update between the said versions, can I
> just keep the data directory around (no need to dump/restore)? Would that
> eliminate the need to run initdb?
>
> It seems like this could be made slightly clearer in the documentation.

No dump/restore, no initdb. Where should we put it?

I see the problem. The INSTALL file does not contain any mention of
this. I did the Release notes, but did not add to INSTALL/install.sgml.
I should add something to the install.sgml file. Another problem is
that the top of the INSTALL says:

5. Release Notes
Release 6.5.1
Migration to v6.5.1
Detailed Change List
Release 6.5
Migration to v6.5
Multi-Version Concurrency Control
Detailed Change List

But when you get down to section 5, you see:

Chapter 5. Release Notes

Release 6.5

This release marks a major step in the development
team's mastery of the source code we inherited from
Berkeley. You will see we are now easily adding major

So it seems the 6.5.1 changes are not listed in the INSTALL file, though
there was some attempt to add them. Thomas, does this make sense?