Re: [HACKERS] Contributing

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Contributing
Date: 1999-07-16 16:53:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think it depends on the level of changes you intend to implement
(and your 'net access speed). If you just want to tweak some code,
pulling the latest cvs, hacking it up, doing a 'cvs update' and resolve
any conflicts, then doing 'cvs diff' will give you a nice patch to send
in. (Any recomendations on parameters for cvs diff?)

If your planning some major development, where you want to be able to
hack and slash and not worry about losing your own changes, a local CVSup
mirror may be preferable.

Note that if you're behind a slow link, even the first scenario can be slow
(the cvs diff requires 'net access to the repository)

Ross

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer