Re: [HACKERS] Backends waiting, spinlocks, shared mem patches

From: Wayne Piekarski <wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Backends waiting, spinlocks, shared mem patches
Date: 1999-06-03 05:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> Yes, 6.4.* does not cope gracefully at all with running out of kernel
> semaphores. This is "fixed" in 6.5 by the brute-force approach of
> grabbing all the semaphores we could want at postmaster startup, rather
> than trying to allocate them on-the-fly during backend startup. Either
> way, you want your kernel to be able to provide one semaphore per
> potential backend.

Right now, every so often we have a problem where all of a sudden the
backends will just start piling up, we exceed 50-60 backends, and then the
thing fails. The wierd part is that some times it happens during times of
the day which are very quiet and I wouldn't expect there to be that many
tasks being done. I'm thinking something is getting jammed up in Postgres
and then this occurs [more about this later] We get the spinlock fail
message and then we just restart, so it does "recover" in a way, although
it would be better if it didn't die. At least I understand what is
happening here .....

> > We have also been doing some testing with the latest 6.5 from the other
> > day, to check that certain problems we've bumped into have been fixed. We
> > can't run it live, but we'll try to run our testing programs on it as a
> > best approximation to help flush out any bugs that might be left.
>
> OK, please let us know ASAP if you spot problems... we are shooting for
> formal 6.5 release one week from today...

Ok, well the past two days or so, we've still had the backends waiting
problem like before, even though we installed the 6.4.2 shared memory
patches. (ie, lots of backends waiting for nothing to happen - some kind
of lock is getting left around by a backend) It has been running better
than it was before, but we still get one problem or two per day, which
isn't very good. This time, when we kill all the waiting backends, new
backends will still jam anyways, so we kill and restart the whole thing.
The problem appears to have changed from what it was before, where we
could selectively kill off backends and eventually it would start working
again.

Unfortunately, this is not the kind of thing I can reproduce with a
testing program, and so I can't try it against 6.5 - but it still exists
in 6.4.2 so unless someones made more changes related to this area, there
might be a chance it is still in 6.5 - although the locking code has been
changed a lot maybe not?

Is there anything I can do, like enable some extra debugging code,
#define, (I've tried turning on a few of the locking defines but they
waiting for, so I or someone else can have a look and see if the problem
can be spotted? I can get it to happen one or twice per day, but I can
only test against 6.4.2 and it can't adversely affect the performance.

One thing I thought is this problem could still be related to the
spinlock/semget problem. ie, too many backends start up, something fails
and dies off, but leaves a semaphore laying around, and so from then
onwards, all the backends are waiting for this semaphore to go when it is
still hanging around, causing problems ... The postmaster code fails to
detect the stuck spinlock and so it looks like a different problem? Hope
that made sense?

thanks,
Wayne

Wayne Piekarski Tel: (08) 8221 5221
Research & Development Manager Fax: (08) 8221 5220
SE Network Access Pty Ltd Mob: 0407 395 889
222 Grote Street Email: wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au
Adelaide SA 5000 WWW: http://www.senet.com.au