Re: [SQL] connection timeout?

From: Sascha Schumann <sas(at)schell(dot)de>
To: pierre(at)desertmoon(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] connection timeout?
Date: 1999-02-13 14:55:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 06:03:42PM -0700, pierre(at)desertmoon(dot)com wrote:
> All,
>

> Is there a connection timeout on the client code? That is if I were
> to leave the client running but idle for a period of time I'd like
> the client to time out and quit....is there anything like that
> in PostgreSQL, can it be added?
>
> -=pierre

I've employed the following method in one program (it's a CGI which may stay
longer around without using the database connection):

-----
PGconn *conn;

void sig_alrm(int nr)
{
signal(SIGALRM, SIG_DEF);
if(conn)
PQfinish(conn);
conn = NULL;
}

void use_pgsql(void)
{
if(!conn) {
conn = PQconnectdb(...);
signal(SIGALRM, sig_alrm);
}
alarm(60);
}
-----

Before you use any database action now, you call use_pgsql() which will start
the counter and set up the connection.

--

Regards,

Sascha Schumann |
Consultant | finger sas(at)schell(dot)de