no swap space

From: Mark Wilson <mwilson(at)sundog(dot)larc(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: no swap space
Date: 1999-02-11 18:17:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a large data set stored using version 6.4.2 on a Sun Ultra 30
(Solaris 2.6 - 384MB RAM). While trying to preform a somewhat
complex select on one of the larger tables from the psql> command
promplt, I am given the following error message then dumped out out psql:

before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
impossible. Terminating.

If I try the same query from a cgi script written in perl, the script
comes back empty and this warningappears on my console screen:

WARNING: Sorry, no swap space to grow stack for pid 15195 (postgres)

The swap space on the system I'm using looks to be around 275MB and
it remains at about 1% capacity during the operation that bombed.

I've looked around the mail archives and have not found any similar
problems or solutions. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

-Mark.

--- fax: (757)825-8659
Mark Wilson voice: (757)827-4631
Analytical Services & Materials, Inc. email: m(dot)r(dot)wilson(at)larc(dot)nasa(dot)gov