Re: [GENERAL] vacuum problems

From: "Giovanni Floridia" <gfloridia(at)provider(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: szoli(at)netvisor(dot)hu
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] vacuum problems
Date: 1999-02-04 12:39:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi,
> I'm writing a logfile processing app.
> everytime I processed a logfile and moved the information into a
> relation, I try to vacuum it. But after a while (after the nth logfile)
> vacuum freezes with the following message:
>
> NOTICE: BlowawayRelationBuffers(annex_log, 7): block 7 is referenced
> (private 0, last 0, global 1)
> FATAL 1: VACUUM (vc_rpfheap): BlowawayRelationBuffers returned -2
>
> What went wrong?

I had the same problem. First I had to dump and recover and all was
OK. As this procedure is not convenient the next time that hapened I
tryed to discover wich table had the problem. I made a
vacuum verbose table_X
for each table in the database. For my surprise I was not able to find
a table with a problem. Then I tried
vacuum
in all tables again and all was OK.

I have no idea what was going on...
and I haven't repetead the procedure yet, but
it was not necessary to dump/recover to make vacuum again!

Giovanni Floridia