dump doesn't save views and blobs

From: lorenzo(at)argon(dot)roma2(dot)infn(dot)it
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dump doesn't save views and blobs
Date: 1999-01-26 18:49:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

So good,
I'm just starting a couple of db projects, and would like to run
them on PG, whose feature set seems rich enough for my needs... Now, I see
almost any new release added very useful stuff (as opposed to some well
known office suite new releases, adding mostly uncollected garbage), but
there is the dump/reload needed to realign tables to the changed server;
very good: no need to waste server's time in on the fly conversion from
legacy format to the current data representation... Still, I see those big
warnings about un-dumpable BLOBs and views; I understand the second is
impossible since views are stored only after having been "massaged" into
rules; still, I think that in the long term both should be 'teleported'
from one releases' to the next one's format, but I feel that BLOBs should
be handled asap... IMHO, this should be considered at the very least as a
big inconvenience, but I can hear people laughing at this big "feature" as
a DOCUMENTED bug of an seemengly excellent free program. Sorry for not
being able to submit code to correct this state of facts, I hope you will
not take this note as an offense, or the troll it isn't, but as a real
concern for a real problem I'm going to face. At the very least, I'm
surprised not to see the incomplete dump problem noted in PG's TODO list.
Yours,

l.