Adding Xshare to our web site

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Cc: docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-documentation), plexus(at)xshare(dot)com
Subject: Adding Xshare to our web site
Date: 1999-01-21 18:45:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

[I am CC'ing Xshare on this.]

I am very impressed with Xshare at http://www.xshare.com. They have a
nice timely list of open source Unix software, with nice descriptions
and links to home pages.

I have worked with them on a number of issues, and they have been
helpful. Of course, they list PostgreSQL. Recently, I mentioned we
have released 6.4.2(they were listing 6.4.1), and mentioned they could
subscribe to the 'announce' list to receive news on updates. They have
subscribed, so will always have the most recent version listed. Their
current listing for us is:

Login Add Software Account
PostgreSQL 6.4.2
Plexus
18/01/1999
PostgreSQL is a robust, next-generation,
Object-Relational DBMS (ORDBMS), derived from
the Berkeley Postgres database management system.
While PostgreSQL retains the powerful
object-relational data model, rich data types and
easy extensibility of Postgres, it replaces the PostQuel
query language with an extended subset of SQL.

After 5 intense months of development, the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group is pleased to
announce the release of v6.4, a much improved
release of the popular PostgreSQL ORDBMS. As
always, there is *alot* of new features, bug fixes and
changes since the last release...over 200 lines worth in
our HISTORY file.

Homepage:
http://www.postgresql.org
Documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/
Licence:
unknown
Systems:
FreeBSD, HP-Unix, Irix, Linux, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Solaris
Download:
http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html
http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql-6.4.2.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/
ftp://ftp.chicks.net/pub/postgresql

This is quite a bit of interesting information. Perhaps we should add a
link on our homepage that says: "For information on other open source
software, see Xshare." It is hard to know all the software available,
and Xshare helps in that.