Re: [HACKERS] SQLJ

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
Cc: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>, DGowin(at)avantec(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SQLJ
Date: 1999-01-06 02:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>Jan Wieck wrote:
>>
>> PL/Tcl and PL/pgSQL are the only two languages available,
>> because noone else than me did anything in that corner up to
>> now. You're welcome :-).
>
>:-)
>
>Yeap! Easy to say! Hard to do!
>
>I'm not a "core" programmer. I am rather new to Java (only 2 weeks), and
>I don't know anything about inside PostgreSQL structures.
>We would need someone with much more expertise in "C", "C++", Java and
>PostgreSQL than me.

I've been interested in this topic too. My idea is having JVM as a
separate process from the backend. Maybe JServ(Apache's servlet
extension package) is a good starting point. Also it would be nice if
the backend could use some functionalities of Java, such as encoding
conversions.

I am by no means a Java guru, thus this would be a great challenge for
me:-)
--
Tatsuo Ishii