Re: [HACKERS] Proposed autoconf change: rip out search for 'install'

From: Brook Milligan <brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposed autoconf change: rip out search for 'install'
Date: 1998-12-08 20:53:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The minimum-change, safest way to address the issue is to take out
configure.in's search for an install and always use install-sh
unless the user specifically overrides that. Using AC_PROG_INSTALL
looks to me like it introduces more risk; there's a possibility that
it will settle on an install that isn't really compatible, which is
the same problem we've got now. On the other hand, there's a lot to
be said for using standardized solutions, and AC_PROG_INSTALL is
presumably pretty well tested...

Why not just go with AC_PROG_INSTALL since it gets tested by all the
other gnu software installations anyway. If there are special cases
that it doesn't grok we can always put it inside a conditional based
on a --with-install=/your/favorite/install/program configure option.
I doubt we really will need that, though.

Cheers,
Brook