Re: [HACKERS] Re: Open portability issues

From: Brook Milligan <brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu>
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Open portability issues
Date: 1998-09-09 20:09:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Open portability issues:
>
> /usr/local should be searched for lib and include for all ports if present
> (currently not working, I have libreadline there)

I actually us a flag to configure:

--with-includes="/u/readline" \
--with-libraries="/u/readline /usr/contrib/lib"

Should we be poking around in /usr/local by default? Comments?

No! The configure options (including the /usr/local typical usage)
are clearly outlined in INSTALL and easy to use. In fact, arbitrary
series of space-separated directories can be given as you illustrate.

The configuration stuff works fine now. Why mung it up again? If we
make searching /usr/local a default, we need a way to prevent that if
the wrong stuff is in /usr/local. It makes sense to simply specify
where to look, document what to do, and be done.

Cheers,
Brook