Re: [HACKERS] cidr

From: Paul A Vixie <vixie(at)vix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cidr
Date: 1998-07-20 23:56:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As far as the name, we just want a name that makes it clear to novices what
> the module does. ip_and_mac is pretty clear. I have no idea what a cidr
> is. If you can think of a more descriptive name, let's go for it.

cidr = classless internet domain routing. it's the "204.152.184/21" notation.

i'm not sure we need a type name that makes sense to novices. what we need
is an example in the "type range" column. if we can say that int2's allowed
ranges are 0 to 65535 and have folks get what we mean without further intro,
then we can teach novices about cidr by saying that allowable ranges are 0/0
through 255.255.255.255/32.