sequence problems

From: M Simms <grim(at)argh(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: sequence problems
Date: 1998-06-11 17:46:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

OK, this is my third attempt to post, lets see if maybee this one goes through

I am trying to incriment values in a table. Fair enough, should be
easy. I have read the manpage for create_sequence, but it doesnt seem to
do what I want it to. I will be using a large database, maybee 50,000
instances of a table, and from the documentation it seems I have to create
a sequence, with a separate identity for every instance of the table if
I want to incriment values in it. Or am I wrong.

All I want to be able to do is to incriment 2 different numbers at will within
a whole lot of instances of a table. If I have to craete a sequence for
EVERY table, that will become WAY too cumbersome to use.

Thanx