Re: [QUESTIONS] ndbm emulation library?

From: Leslie Mikesell <les(at)Mcs(dot)Net>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: les(at)Mcs(dot)Net, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] ndbm emulation library?
Date: 1998-03-06 17:37:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > Has anyone done an ndbm emulation library that could be linked into
> > existing applications to make them use pgsql tables instead? I guess
> > you'd have to use a default hardcoded database name or pick it up
> > from the environment but otherwise it seems like it should work and
> > be an easy way to get access to the same data via ODBC and all the
> > other ways of using pgsql.
>
> I'm confused, but...why would you want to do this vs using the
> standard libpq interface?

I've already got apps using ndbm (and getting occasional file
corruption). I'd like to fix this and get the benefits of
multi-host access and the ability to write new code to access
the same data in all the ways possible with pgsql. If we had
a wrapper around libpq with ndbm emulation it would be as simple
as re-linking my old apps and migrating the data.

Les Mikesell
les(at)mcs(dot)com