Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh'

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh'
Date: 1998-02-23 20:55:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > create view pg_users as ...
> > > ERROR: Illegal class name: pg_users -- pg_ is reserved for system catalogs
> >
> > Oops, yep.
> >
> > I guess I just liked that the pg_ stuff was all system stuff. Do you
> > get this error when creating it from postgres, as initdb does? That
> > would be a solution. Worked here.
>
> even if running postgres directly from pgsql account.

Here's what I did:

echo 'create view pg_x as select * from pg_user' |aspg postgres -F -Q -D
/u/pg/data template1

I am suggesting we do this in initdb, just like the others.

> But I think it's right to have views/tables named db_
> or sys_ too. Other RDBMS's have them too (Oracle).
>
> And I don't know if ALL the places where IsSystemRelationName()
> is used are happy with things that in fact aren't really
> hardwired system catalogs.
>
> Just let's choose one prefix for all of them and use
> that then. Maybe we would like to restrict the use of
> this prefix to superusers only. As I think there could
> be more information in the catalogs that we want to
> hide from users in the future, a group of db_ views,
> where all the completely open catalogs are just mapped
> by SELECT * wouldn't be a bad idea.

Can I suggest pgview_ then? Another problem is that a \d on an empty
database, \d is going to show this view, isn't it. Kind of strange to
me.

I have a solution. Create the view in initdb as pguser_no_pwd, then
after that execute an update statement on pg_class:

update pg_class
set relname = 'pg_user_no_pwd'
where relname = 'pguser_no_pwd';

We are using Jan's cache fix already. I just tried it and it works.
And it means it doesn't show up in \d, and a user can't accidentally
delete it. Sounds like a real winner.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026