Re: [HACKERS] Permissions on copy

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Permissions on copy
Date: 1998-02-20 17:03:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > > Since the copy statement is behaving differently than the normal select
> > > stuff,
> > > I think we should eighter introduce a new permission (name it copy or dump)
> > > or include the copy into the rewrite system.
> > >
> > > I would vote for the first and implement a new command:
> > > unload to <filename> [delimiter '|'] <select statement>; -- and
> > > load from <filename> [delimiter '|'] <insert statement>;
> > > that does behave like the select. (please forgive my Informix
> > > background)
> >
> > Yes, I agree the Informix way of having load/unload, and having a SELECT
> > capability so you can dump any data/join you want, not just a single
> > table. Do I have votes to put this on the TODO list?
>
> I'm not quite sure what we are voting on here...is it to implement
> permissions on a copy, like we do on 'select/delete/insert/etc'?
>
> If so, count me in...

Two things. First was a separate COPY priviledge, which I vote against.
I see no real value to it, except to work around the problem that COPY
doesn't use rules.

Second, there was the idea of making copy allow a real select statement
and not just a table name. If we do that, all goes through the
executor, and you get view and rules working properly. May have some
performance penalty, though it probabably will be minor.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us