Re: Creating Index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "CN" <cnliou9(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating Index
Date: 2003-10-03 15:26:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

"CN" <cnliou9(at)fastmail(dot)fm> writes:
> I thought I have got no more question in this thread, and I was wrong :-(
> Is the extra 300ms in UNION essential?

Dividing, it looks like the Append node is taking about 3 microseconds
per tuple, which seems kind of a lot considering it isn't really doing
anything. I suspect though that most of this overhead is due to the
EXPLAIN ANALYZE instrumentation, and would in fact go away when you
are just running the query.