Re: could not find /usr/local/timezone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not find /usr/local/timezone
Date: 2004-11-05 03:03:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This is fundamentally broken by the changes to support relocatable
>> installs: PG now attempts to find the support files by relative paths
>> from the place where the executable was found.

> I recall that on some systems the "normal" method of installation is
> installing everything in private directory trees and then symlinking
> the relevant parts to shared locations. Also, sites using AFS file
> systems do things of that kind. I hope these systems aren't going to
> be broken completely.

[ itch... ] Maybe we had better do something about chasing symlinks,
then. ISTM that find_my_exec could resolve a symbolic link down to the
actual executable, and then we could assume that the support files are
located relative to that. I was worried about portability but it looks
like lstat() and readlink() are defined in the Single Unix Spec ...