Re: DBT-3 with SF=20 got failed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DBT-3 with SF=20 got failed
Date: 2015-10-04 18:31:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Anyway, I think you're right we're going in circles here. I think we
> both presented all the arguments we had and we still disagree. I'm not
> going to continue with this - I'm unlikely to win an argument against
> two committers if that didn't happen until now. Thanks for the
> discussion though.

Since we're hard up against the 9.5beta1 deadline, I've made an executive
decision to commit just the minimal change, which I view as being to
constrain the array size to MaxAllocSize where it has been all along.

I found a second rather serious bug in the new hash code while doing that
--- it failed to ensure nbuckets was actually a power of 2 --- which did
not improve my opinion of it one bit.

It's clear from this discussion that there's room for further improvement
in the hashtable sizing behavior, but I think that's 9.6 material at
this point.