Re: vacuums failing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuums failing
Date: 2000-10-17 19:27:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net> writes:
> Could someone please tell me what is going wrong?
> query: VACUUM ANALYZE
> NOTICE: FlushRelationBuffers(message, 15): block 0 is referenced
> (private 0, global 2)
> FATAL 1: VACUUM (vc_repair_frag): FlushRelationBuffers returned -2

This is probably an artifact of the known bug that 7.0.* forgets to
run AbortTransaction() if a client disconnects in the middle of a
BEGIN block. There's no harm to your data, but buffer reference counts
in shared memory aren't decremented before the backend exits. So,
VACUUM gets unhappy because it fears some other backend is touching
the table it's vacuuming.

Restarting the postmaster should make the symptom go away. The bug
itself is fixed for 7.0.3.