Re: Another locale test program

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another locale test program
Date: 2004-07-13 22:31:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Regarding the encoding/locale matching issue, here's another test
> routine I would like you to run if you want to see your operating
> system supported.

Oh, disregard previous complaint then...

On HPUX 10.20 I get
--snip--
SJIS
arabic8
big5
ccdc
eucJP
eucKR
eucTW
greek8
hebrew8
hp15CN
iso88591
iso885915
iso88592
iso88595
iso88596
iso88597
iso88598
iso88599
kana8
roman8
tis620
turkish8
utf8
--snip--

On Mac OS X 10.3.4, there doesn't seem to be a "locale" program.
Using the ls /usr/share/locale technique, I get
--snip--

Big5
CP1251
CP866
ISCII-DEV
ISO8859-1
ISO8859-13
ISO8859-15
ISO8859-2
ISO8859-4
ISO8859-5
ISO8859-7
ISO8859-9
KOI8-R
KOI8-U
SJIS
US-ASCII
UTF-8
eucCN
eucJP
eucKR
--snip--

Note the blank line in there! It appears that the CODESET routine is
simply emitting the last part of the locale name, as the output works
out like this:

locale CODESET

de_AT
de_AT.ISO8859-1 ISO8859-1
de_AT.ISO8859-15 ISO8859-15
de_AT.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_CH

In short it looks like this is going to be a bit limited on OSX :-(