Re: Parallel make problem with git master

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel make problem with git master
Date: 2011-03-08 01:09:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For what it's worth, I'm still seeing this problem too:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg00123.php
> I can reproduce it every time.

I think what is happening here is that make launches concurrent sub-jobs
to do "make install" in each of interfaces/libpq and interfaces/ecpg,
and the latter launches a sub-sub-job to do "make all" in
interfaces/libpq, and make has no idea that these are duplicate sub-jobs
so it actually tries to run both concurrently. Whereupon you get all
sorts of fun failures. I'm not sure if there is any cure that's not
worse than the disease.

FWIW, doing a parallel "make all" works perfectly reliably for me.