Re: Build failure on m68k and ia64: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, martin(at)piware(dot)de
Subject: Re: Build failure on m68k and ia64: inconsistent operand constraints in an `asm'
Date: 2004-06-10 04:37:07
Lists: pgsql-ports

Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de> writes:
> Recently PostgreSQL did not build any more on the Debian ia64 and m68k buil=
> dds:

Just to clarify --- what you're reporting is that Debian changed their
compiler to break our code, right? Because this asm has been the same
for quite awhile ...

> A Debian porter suggested that "1"(*lock) is an obsolete syntax and
> should be replaced by "m"(*lock) in both cases; however, I would like
> to get a second opinion about this.

We will need to find out whether this syntax also works with older
gccs, and if not, what hoops we must leap through to determine which
syntax to use.