Re: C Function causes backend to die in 7.4.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Graeme Hinchliffe <graeme(dot)hinchliffe(at)zeninternet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: C Function causes backend to die in 7.4.3
Date: 2004-09-02 14:26:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Graeme Hinchliffe <graeme(dot)hinchliffe(at)zeninternet(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:

> HeapTuple rettuple;

> // Commented out code is here

> return PointerGetDatum(rettuple);

It surprises you that returning an uninitialized pointer value will
crash the code that tries to use the pointer?

I strongly recommend using a compiler that will warn about uninitialized
values. If using gcc, you should use -O1 (at least).

I dunno what the original problem was, but maybe you just neglected to
recompile the function against 7.4 headers? We don't generally
guarantee binary compatibility of user-defined functions across major
releases.