Re: ecpg compile error on AIX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ecpg compile error on AIX
Date: 2002-01-08 01:00:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Shouldn't the set of warnings at least be the same on all
> platforms (at least those with the same integer size) or does it just warn
> if there would actually be a problem on that platform?

In fact, the GCC manual makes it pretty clear that the check is machine
dependent:

`-Wcast-align'
Warn whenever a pointer is cast such that the required alignment
of the target is increased. For example, warn if a `char *' is
cast to an `int *' on machines where integers can only be accessed
at two- or four-byte boundaries.

I suppose this means that we'd better run test compilations on Alphas
(or some other 8-byte-long environment) too, whenever we try to turn
on -Wcast-align.