Re: incompatible pointer type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: incompatible pointer type
Date: 2011-10-19 02:56:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 18:22, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hmm, what version of bison are you using?

> # /usr/bin/bison -V
> bison (GNU Bison) 2.3
> Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
> #
> From:
> http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.9/packages/amd64/bison-2.3.tgz

Interesting. I've got bison 2.3 on my Mac laptop, and it does what I
expect (ie, it emits "typedef union YYSTYPE ..."). So do the oldest and
newest bison versions I have handy (1.875 and 2.4.3), and both of their
manuals specify that this is the expected behavior -- see
http://www.gnu.org/s/bison/manual/html_node/Union-Decl.html
about halfway down the page.

A little bit of googling suggests that this is a bug or incompatibility
with openbsd's m4 (a tool that bison relies on):
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.parsers.bison.bugs/2708
That thread petered out without any clear resolution, but maybe you
should check for m4 updates, or try installing GNU m4.