Re: getting pid of backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting pid of backend
Date: 2002-03-05 23:37:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu> writes:
> I mean the current pid number of the actual connection. Not the postmaster
> process, I need the pid of the currently running postgres. :-)

I don't believe it's available as a SQL query, but libpq can tell you
what it is.

Probably a more interesting question is "why do you want to know?".
I can't offhand think of a really good reason to use the backend pid
for anything on the client side, other than distinguishing self-notifies
from other notifies, which is not something you can do at the SQL level
anyway.