Re: cast lo to oid

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nekta Katz" <nekta_k(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cast lo to oid
Date: 2002-11-07 15:16:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Nekta Katz" <nekta_k(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have the following table

> create table scan_docs (
> docid serial,
> shipno numeric(10),
> scan lo,
> type text
> );

> when I try to create the following rule

> create rule "delete_scan_docs_lo" as
> on delete to "scan_docs"
> do select lo_unlink (old.scan);

Why aren't you using the trigger that type LO provides for this purpose?
Seems rather pointless to use a nonstandard type and then ignore the
primary (sole) feature it provides...

> create rule "delete_scan_docs_lo" as
> on delete to "scan_docs"
> do select lo_unlink (old.scan::oid);

> "psql:scan_docs_rule.sql:3: ERROR: Cannot cast type 'lo' to 'oid' "

Curious, as contrib/lo provides a function that's supposed to work
for that:

-- same function, named to allow it to be used as a type coercion, eg:
-- CREATE TABLE a (image lo);
-- SELECT image::oid FROM a;
--
CREATE FUNCTION oid(lo)