Uh, this is *not* a 64-bit CRC ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Uh, this is *not* a 64-bit CRC ...
Date: 2001-02-28 21:53:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just took a close look at the COMP_CRC64 macro in xlog.c.

This isn't a 64-bit CRC. It's two independent 32-bit CRCs, one done
on just the odd-numbered bytes and one on just the even-numbered bytes
of the datastream. That's hardly any stronger than a single 32-bit CRC;
it's certainly not what I thought we had agreed to implement.

We can't change this algorithm without forcing an initdb, which would be
a rather unpleasant thing to do at this late stage of the release cycle.
But I'm not happy with it. Comments?