Re: Corrupt indices on already-dropped table (could not open relation with OID ...)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig de Stigter <craig(dot)destigter(at)koordinates(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Corrupt indices on already-dropped table (could not open relation with OID ...)
Date: 2009-11-17 03:51:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Craig de Stigter <craig(dot)destigter(at)koordinates(dot)com> writes:
> Somehow we've ended up with a few corrupt indices in our database.

What PG version is this exactly? Do you have any idea how you got into
this state? (Database crashes, system crashes, whatever?) We've seen
a few similar reports before, but never with enough clarity to identify
the bug, if it is a bug.

> I'm a bit hesitant to try the fix mentioned at the following URL since it
> involves deleting things from system tables:
> http://javadave.blogspot.com/2005/06/could-not-open-relation-in-postgresql.html

It'd be safer to dump and reload the database. However, given that you
already removed the underlying table, I don't see a reason to be
terribly concerned about the consistency of the entries about this