Re: Credit in the release notes WAS: Draft release notes complete

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PeterEisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Credit in the release notes WAS: Draft release notes complete
Date: 2012-05-13 01:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 09:27:21PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> We seem to be in danger of overthinking this.

> Results have just shown it isn't a simple case. It is unclear how
> important the reviewers were, and how much a committer rewrote the
> patch, and the significance of follow-on commits.

I'm wondering how come this has suddenly gotten so complicated.
We got through a dozen major releases without so much angst about
how to credit people. I tend to think Andrew's right: we are
overthinking this, and are in danger of instituting a set of
bureaucratic rules that will result in endless arguments, without
really making anybody happier than before.

I haven't yet heard any very good argument for deviating from our
past practice, which is to credit just the principal author(s)
of each patch, not reviewers.