Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-10 19:17:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> The scenario that's appealing to me the most is this for the next release:
> PostgreSQL 8.0
> + Includes PITR and the Win32 port

If the folks doing those things can get done in time, great. I'm even
willing to push out the release schedule (now, not later) to make it
more likely they can get done. What I'm not willing to do is define
the release in terms of "it happens when these things are done". We
learned the folly of that approach in 7.1 and 7.2. Setting a target
date and sticking to it works *much* better.

> + Not sure where Satoshi is up to with his 2 phase commit proposal, but
> that might make sense to incorporate into a wire protocol revision.

I can't see any need for protocol-level support for such a thing.
Why wouldn't it just be some more SQL commands?

(Not that I believe in 2PC as a real-world solution anyway, but that's
a different argument...)