Re: TCP Wrappers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Timmy Siu <timmy(dot)siu(at)aol(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCP Wrappers
Date: 2019-10-09 23:15:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Timmy Siu <timmy(dot)siu(at)aol(dot)com> wrote:
>> May I suggest the community to have postgres to work with TCP wrappers.??
>> Its security will be better.

> The last stable release of TCP Wrappers was a couple decades ago. It's
> deprecated in RHEL7 and removed in RHEL8. I'm not a PG core member or
> anything but rather doubt that's an area where the developers will want to
> expend effort.

Yeah. In a quick dig through the project archives, I can find exactly
one prior suggestion that we should do this, and that email is old
enough to drink:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/v0313030fb141b1665de9%40%5B137.78.218.94%5D

That doesn't bode well for the number of people who would use or care
about such a feature.