Re: Postgres process

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Raghavendra <raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, iliya g <gyozov2004(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres process
Date: 2011-08-09 15:45:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Raghavendra <raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Still, my guess we cannot get the process description on SunOS.

I surely hope you're not still running SunOS. If you mean Solaris,
note what the manual says at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/monitoring-ps.html

Tip: Solaris requires special handling. You must use /usr/ucb/ps,
rather than /bin/ps. You also must use two w flags, not just one. In
addition, your original invocation of the postgres command must have
a shorter ps status display than that provided by each server
process. If you fail to do all three things, the ps output for each
server process will be the original postgres command line.

This advice is close to ten years old, but might well still apply to
recent Solaris releases.