Re: changing text search treatment of puncutation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: changing text search treatment of puncutation
Date: 2008-07-03 00:35:22
Lists: pgsql-general

John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> writes:
> Is there an easy way to change '/' to be treated like '-' ? I've
> looked over the documentation several times and could not find
> anything. Even just a way to get the two tokens 'home' and 'work'
> without the joined form would be helpful.

Seems like the simplest solution is just to apply
regexp_replace(text, '/', '-', 'g')
before letting the text search stuff have the string. If you're
using a trigger to update a tsvector column, this would be pretty
trivial to do within the trigger.

In general there seem to be a lot of ways that people wish they
could tweak the text search parser, and telling them to write
their own parser isn't a very helpful response for most folk.
I don't have an idea about how to improve the situation, but
it seems like something that should be thought about.