Re: Kernel kills postgres process - help need

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hervé Piedvache <bill(dot)footcow(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Kernel kills postgres process - help need
Date: 2008-01-09 22:17:56
Lists: pgsql-general

=?utf-8?q?Herv=C3=A9_Piedvache?= <bill(dot)footcow(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When I have a lot of connexions (persistante connexions from 6 web apache/php
> serveurs using PDO, about 110 process on each web servers) on the server, or
> long request, it's difficult for me to know when it's appening, the kernel
> seems to kill my postgresql process then the server become completly
> instable, and most of the time need a reboot ...

Turn off memory overcommit.

> max_connections = 2048

Have you considered using a connection pooler in front of a smaller
number of backends?

If you really need that many backends, it'd likely be a good idea to
reduce max_files_per_process to perhaps 100 or so. If you manage
to run the kernel out of filetable slots, all sorts of userland stuff
is going to get very unhappy.