Re: configure readline error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John McGloughlin <johnmac(at)mcgloughlingroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configure readline error
Date: 2003-06-18 04:38:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

John McGloughlin <johnmac(at)mcgloughlingroup(dot)com> writes:
> checking for readline... no
> readline library not found

> I've gone through config.log and it looks like it searches the correct
> locations.

"not found" in this context would probably be better read as "something
went wrong but I dunno what". A likely possibility is that the readline
library needs some secondary library that configure didn't try
including. Could we see the full config.log results?

> I have gnu readline 4.1 installed and can find libs in
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a and headers in
> /usr/local/lib/include/readline/*.h.

> I configured with ./configure
> --with-includes=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/include/readline
> --with-libraries=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/include/readline

Hm, I think those paths ought to be just
--with-includes=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/include
--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib

but not sure if that accounts for your problem ... also, readline 4.1
is long in the tooth, an update to 4.2 might help ...