Re: max_connections, solaris semaphores and initdb - solved

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Isaac Vetter <ivetter(at)math(dot)purdue(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_connections, solaris semaphores and initdb - solved
Date: 2008-01-12 06:24:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Isaac Vetter <ivetter(at)math(dot)purdue(dot)edu> writes:
> Once I knew what the running instance's max_connections value was,
> finding it hardcoded in the init script was easy. :)

How annoying :-(. The common theory among PG admins these days is that
anything you can reasonably set in postgresql.conf should be set there,
and not via alternatives such as command-line options to the postmaster.
I'm afraid it didn't occur to me that you might be getting bitten that
way. Glad you worked it out.