Re: Trouble with plpgsql on 7.4.6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble with plpgsql on 7.4.6
Date: 2004-11-18 19:25:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> Has anyone else had any problem installing plpgsql into a 7.4.6
> database? When I try (on NetBSD 2.0RC5) I get the following message:

> createlang: language installation failed: server closed the connection
> unexpectedly

Probably indicates a failure to load the plpgsql shared library.

> I turned on a bunch of logging and this is what gets spit out into the
> log:

> Nov 18 11:49:18 panther cert198[21983]: [47-1] LOG: 00000: server
> process (PID 7864) was terminated by signal 6

There wasn't anything interesting just before that?

Signal 6 is SIGABRT (at least on my machine) so something decided to
abort() in that backend. Postgres would abort() on assertion failure,
but it would have logged a message first. My guess is that the shared
library loader did the abort(), and probably it griped on stderr rather
than to syslog. Fix your postmaster startup arrangement so that stderr
goes someplace useful instead of to /dev/null, so you can see what it's
complaining about.