Re: damage control mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-02-07 07:05:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> ... The affected patches are:
>>> - Listen/Notify Rewrite.
>>> - Writeable CTEs.
>>> - more frame options for window functions
>>> - knngist
>>> - rbtree

> I think it might be time to revisit this issue. SR is in, and we have
> a week left in the CF, and we have all of the above patches plus 5
> small ones left to deal with. rbtree is close to being committable, I
> think; knngist has not been reviewed yet; you (Tom) have claimed the
> frame options patch but I haven't seen any update on it in a while; I
> doubt either of the other two are ready to commit but I'm not sure how
> far they have to go.

Yeah, I claimed the window frame patch and then got distracted on the
vacuum full vs HS issue.

Current status on that: I expect to be able to commit the core
relation-mapping patch tomorrow (if the power stays on here, which is
no sure thing given the weather). There is something like another day
or two's worth of work involved to rip out VACUUM FULL INPLACE. I
suppose that part could get put off till later, but I'm the kind of
person who prefers to finish a project once it's started. I feel it
has to get done before we release the final alpha in any case.

Given that we have a week still to go in the CF, I feel fairly
confident of still getting the window frame patch in on time
(assuming that there are indeed no major problems with it).
I have not let go of it for that reason, and also because I doubt
anybody else is qualified to commit it --- AFAIR only Hitoshi-san
and I were really neck-deep in the original window patch.

However, with the deadline fast approaching, I don't feel that I
can also promise to handle writeable CTEs, which is another one
that I'd really like to be the committer for. Maybe we had better
make a management decision about which of those two is higher
priority to get into 9.0. Also: I haven't been following either
one terribly closely lately. If there's reason to think that one is
more likely to be committable than the other, that ought to get
factored into the choice of which to go to first; but I'm not
sure whether that's the case.