Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OID wraparound: summary and proposal
Date: 2001-08-08 16:39:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Also I am worried about the performance of the per table Oid
> generators.

I think performance would be a big problem if we tried to implement them
just like sequences are done now. But a shared hashtable of Oid
generators (each one handled roughly like the single Oid generator
currently is) would probably work okay. We'd have to work out how to
have a backing disk table for this hashtable, since we couldn't expect
to have room in shared memory for all generators at all times --- but we
could cache all the active generators in shared memory, I'd think.