Re: Seek info on 7.4.23 server/8.1.1 psql compatibility issues.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kenneth(dot)banyas-1(at)nasa(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Seek info on 7.4.23 server/8.1.1 psql compatibility issues.
Date: 2009-10-01 14:34:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kenneth Banyas <kenneth(dot)banyas-1(at)nasa(dot)gov> writes:
> I have a functioning 7.4.23 server on Debian 4, 32-bit.

> I connect fine using 7.4.23 remote clients.

> Remote connections from an 8.1.1 psql client on SUSE, 64-bit, hang after
> the password prompt appears and a password is entered.
> However, the 7.4.23 server log indicates that a valid connection was made.

Hm... the case works for me:

$ psql ...
Welcome to psql 8.1.18 (server 7.4.26), the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 7.4,
but your psql client is major version 8.1. Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

regression=#

One thing to check is whether you have a ~/.psqlrc containing commands
that wouldn't work against the older server. Failing that, I'm going
to bet that this is a firewall issue of some sort.