Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-15 07:14:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Well, we did have someone do a test implementation of oid file names,
> and their report was that is looked pretty ugly. However, if people are
> convinced it has to be done, we can get started. I guess I was waiting
> for Vadim's storage manager, where the whole idea of separate files is
> going to go away anyway, I suspect. We would then have to re-write all
> our admin tools for the new format.

I seem to recall him saying that he wanted to go to filename == OID
just like I'm suggesting. But I agree we probably ought to hold off
doing anything until he gets back from Russia and can let us know
whether that's still his plan. If he is planning one-huge-file or
something like that, we might as well let these issues go unfixed
for one more release cycle.